Monday, March 16, 2009

RSV and Croup Take 2
















I couldn't believe it when I heard Gracie starting to croup up again late Friday night.
She had been fine all day, we went dinner at Jeff's parents house we left about 10pm and by the time we got home she started breathing hard, she was happy I thought (or hoped) she was just stuffy, by 4:30 in the morning I knew she was sick again, I watched her Saturday and she seemed the same it wasn't seeming to get worse then by night she had fevered and was breathing fast and hard and had broken out in hives. I had done all my tricks with the shower steam, the nebulizer, Vick's, so at 10 pm I called my Aunt the nurse and she listened and agreed that she was breathing fast and hard, so I made my third trip to the ER in less then 3 months! This time was different they gave away my reserved room (I always seem to get the same room no matter who I am taking to the ER- Jeff, Maylee, Gracie, or my lil sister!) This time I got the not so private curtain room, did I mention it was a mad house? I got checked in about 10:20pm I did not see a Doctor until 1:30 Am that's right, allot of sitting and waiting the nurse was fantastic she kept checking on us then about midnight the receptionist walked by and heard that Gracie was getting worse I heard her tell the nurse your baby in 1 is crouping really bad, so she came to tell me she called respiratory and they would come give her a treatment she seemed allot better after that, then we were of for chest x-rays, if you have not ever taken a baby in for chest x-rays I recommend you send someone else it is torture to watch your baby strapped in one of those things! So then we are back to wait longer at 12:45 the nurse told me one more patient then it was our turn, Gracie was so good all that time, she just sat and watched, she was called a handsome little boy 3 times that night, I told them you should see her on a normal day she would have a big obnoxious bow on her head then you would of been able to tell she was a girl! 1:00 am my favorite ER doctor walks in Dr. Mclain we are on first name basis he was there for the last 2 events, he told me the x-rays looked like the beginning phase of bronchial RSV, but the way she was breathing and coughing like a seal it sounded like croup, I am a professional at detecting these 2 things so I was suspicious of that, he told me how they were treated different but he thought treating her for croup would be best so 5 day steroid medicine, okay here we go again the nurse came in and gave her her first dose about 1:20 AM, and we were did missed or so we thought, I wrapped her up got my coat on and walked out the the room, and sweet Gracie puked a huge amount, I saw the Dr. standing there and said um she puked so back to the room to bath her change her and give her more medicine, the nurse gave her a little more and the second it hit her tongue she puked, so they wanted me to wait 20 or 30 minutes, I thought to myself sure why not what else so I have going on tonight so we waited, they mixed it with a little apple juice and wanted me to see if she would drink it, nope she would not have it so they told me to try to get her to fall asleep a little then see if she would take it, so I got her asleep and tricked it into her mouth, she took 2 swallows and sat right up and puked it up! I told them she puked again, so the nurse went and told the Dr. and he decided that she was breathing good enough to go home and wait till morning to get the prescription refilled, if she took it then were good if not bring her back, well I felt like I was leaving empty handed and with not allot of satisfaction i think that is how parents fell when they take there sick kid in rather they were sick or not. So at about 3 AM I got home Gracie fell asleep on the way but had some puke on her sleeve I only brought 1 change of pj's so Jeff got her out cleaned her changed her, I showered and put everything we took in a garbage bag to wash, when I was done Gracie was wired they told me the breathing treatment had a stimulant in it, oh crap I thought it took her awhile to settled down then she slept all night, I got the prescription refilled and she took it no problems so we are on the mend, today she did really good she sounds good feel good and just wants me to hold her all day! So here we go again 1 month later we have the same thing again, the Dr. told me the night before there were 6 babies under 12 months that tested positive for RSV, I am glad that we have smart people who became Dr's and nurses, if anyone has a question about one of these 2 illness I might be able to answer a question or two!!!! These pictures were taken last week I was going to make a post that told how great Gracie has been doing for the last couple weeks, I guess I jumped the gun!

4 comments:

The Bandleys said...

Oh, poor little girl. Glad to hear she's doing better. Tell Dr. McLain hi for me. He and his family lived here in Mona prior to moving up there last winter. They are a super, duper family. Char- make sure you get enough rest, too. It's equally as important and the baby.

Mindy said...

I am glad to hear that she is doing better Char. :D I am sorry that you have had this so much!! Both Hallie & McKade went through RSV a couple times. When McKade swallowed a tack, they had to xray his chest, and it wasn't fun to watch. But it is lots of fun for show and tell!!

Let me know if I can help you in anyway Char.

~ said...

Poor little Gracie. She has had a rough winter. I hope she keeps feeling better. We miss her cute smile at daycare. Let me know if there is anything you need help with, I am sure Kayla would love to have Maylee over for a play date.

Maria said...

oh man, i kind of know how you feel with the medical world "run-around" it's craziness! i hope she is over it for good. it's spring, right?!